Note this doesn't always work.  Many times single user mode still asks for
the root password.  Booting off a bootdisk/cd and then erasing the password
works nicely.  I find tomsrtbt, http://www.toms.net, to be a very useful
compact rescue disk.  If you want a few more tools, knoppix seems to be the
favorite.

 j> Boot into single user mode, reset the password.

 j> Instructions for booting into single user mode via grub and lilo can be
 j> found at:

 j> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

 j> Jeff

 j> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Scott Raun wrote:

 >> OK, I did something ... less than brilliant.
 >>
 >> I set up Mandrake on a Compaq laptop.  Everything's working fine.
 >> However, I have recently (like, Thursday?) realized that I've
 >> forgotten the root password.  This is not currently a high-priority
 >> problem, but will become more so as time goes on.
 >>
 >> It boots from CD-ROM very nicely - any recommendations for fixing
 >> this?
 >>
 >> IIRC, I turned on shadow passwords - I assume I could boot from
 >> removeable media, go in and delete the password from /etc/shadow,
 >> reboot, log in as root, and change the password?

 j> TCLUG Mailing List - Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
 j> http://www.mn-linux.org tclug-list at mn-linux.org

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe | jpschewe at mtu.net