On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Amy Tanner wrote:
> > The website http://clamav.elektrapro.com/ freshmeat has for clamav
> > doesn't seem to be valid anymore.  Is this abandonware or do you have
> > another URL?
>
> That's the proper URL.. looks like someone let the domain expire (expires
> today). I can still get it here since the DNS entry is still cached.. :)
>
> If you add:
>
> 62.149.225.70	clamav.elektrapro.com
>
> to /etc/hosts, you'll be able to get it.
>
> > So, are you saying that McAfee, Trend, etc don't have daemons?
>
> For Trend, there's Trophie (open-source front end to the libraries); never
> used it though.
>
> Don't know of any daemon for McAfee or the others.

Vextra is the only one I know of that does real-time file scanning. It
does it via a kernel module that intercepts file system calls. I
haven't tried it, but I would assume the system would take a
performance hit.

At the company I'm currently working at McAfee was rolled out to all
UNIX systems. (well over 1000 systems) It works well and they come out
with new definitions pretty often. We are only doing nightly scans via
cron using a custom wrapper script that automatically updates the dat
file before it runs. It's nice because it also checks for UNIX trojans
and backdoors as well as M$ viruses.

Another good AV scanner is F-prot. It is free for non-commercial use
and has an installer in the debian unstable branch.
http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/linux/