Matthew S. Hallacy writes:
> I could blink twice or so in the time it will take.

That's still a significant amount of time, especially when either systems
involved are on slow links.  It's an extra cost that serves no useful
benefit.  There is no point in making the DNS system any less reliable.

> I'm starting to wonder if djb has penis envy, he's (once again)
> bashing sendmail.

<sarcasm>
Yes, the entire point of that page was to bash sendmail.  It didn't have
anything to do with pointing out the interoperability issues involving
CNAMEs in mail.  In fact, sendmail wasn't even relevant and didn't need to
be mentioned at all.
</sarcasm>

> It's easy to do with just about any DNS software.

It's much more difficult to do with BIND, due to the zone file format being
more complex.  You would practically need to store the data in a different
format and generate all the zone files from it.  And if you're going that
route, you might as well look at a different solution like MyDNS.

> Are you being paid to market djb's software?

(Are you being paid to be an ass?)

Being a pragmatic systems administrator means choosing the best tools for
the job.  Dan Bernstein writes excellent software.  It would be silly to
ignore all of it simply because you dislike him as a person.  But that is
your personal choice.

In case you were wondering, I don't use tinydns now for authoritative DNS.
I use MyDNS.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/