At the north end of last Friday's beer meeting, there was a discussion about
server naming conventions.  I opined the names of 7 dwarfs works only until
you get an 8th server.  I've heard of using the elements from the periodic
table (bonus: use each element's atomic number for the ip address).  Robert
likes to use names of nuclear disaster sites (something about a Sun box
named Chernobyl that eventually blew up).  But it seems to me that "ssh
threemileisland"
is a lot to type every time you need to login remotely.  So, what are the
desirable qualities for names?

- large address space
- memorable
- easy to type (short)
- easily spelled (unambiguous)

To that end, I proposed using common names of animals.  To keep the names
short, I'd like to use no more than 3 characters.  This lead to a brain
storming session to come up with at least one 3 letter name for every letter
of the alphabet.   We didn't find names for all 26 letters, but that's not
one of the above requirements.  Ursula seemed to have a knack and came up
with most of the following.

ant, ape
bat, bee, bug, boa
cub, cow, cat, cod
doe, dog
emu, egg, eel, elk, ewe
fox, fly
gar, gnu
hog, hen
i--
jay
koi, kid
l--
man
nit
owl
pig, pug
q--
ram, rat, roe, ray
sow
tux (not a "real" animal?)
u--
v--
w--
x--
yak
z--

It was further proposed the router could be named "vet" and the dns might be
called "zoo."

== Craig A. Smith  mailto:craig.a.smith at honeywell.com
 Office 763-954-2895   Cell 612.518.2200   FAX 763-954-2313