Nah.. it's just the false sense of security.  I like that.
Makes me feel all warm and cozy inside knowing I paid 3 times as much
for fire retradant cabling.
MMMMmmmmm....  Fire Retardant....

I don't know if there are any other places that it's required, but if
you have an air return system or a false ceiling Plenum is a
requirement.  I think mostly because, if you had a fire in that area and
DON'T have Plenum, your suddenly releasing toxic fumes straight into
your air system.
YAY!  now the whole building is full of toxic gas AND smoke.  WHOOPY!

sim