I just followed this: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml
last weekend and more or less went off without a hitch. This can be done
with most any mta, i think. This specific info is centered around
gentoo, but should translate fairly easily. Uses postfix, courier-imap,
cyrus-sasl, authenticates in a mysql db, so your mail password can be
different from your shell password (but you don't need a shell account,
necessarilly) and also goes into squirrel-mail (peripheral for what you
want though).
 my $0.02.

>>> waynej at dccmn.com 04/18/03 08:28PM >>>
I have a friend who wants to set up an e-mail server.  We wants to be
able
to accept e-mail from outlook, etc. via SMTP from his customers.  In
otherwords, he needs to support relaying from other machines on the
internet...

Of course we don't want to set up an open relay.  But we also don't
know
the ip addresses of the customers either, so we can't use the sendmail
access table to accept mail from certain machines.

Outlook, etc appears to support authentication on mail connections.
Anyone know how to set this up with sendmail?  Is this what sasl is
used
for?