Nate Carlson mumbled:

>> But so far, haven't figured out how to get Debian up and running on
>> it, the documentation is a bit fuzzy, espically since I have AlphaBIOS
>> and have to use milo (at least, that's what I got out of Debian's
>> docs)
>
> I got it working a long time ago, and I know Phil's had it working (since
> I sold my AlphaStation to him)... can't remember anything about it, but if
> you wanted to drag it by the office sometime when I was in, I'd give'ya a
> hand with it.  :)

Well, I'm a day late and a dollar short since I think the Alpha in question
is running now, but let me know if you need further assistance.

If you're not reading it, the debian-alpha list
(debian-alpha at lists.debian.org) is a must read.  Jay Estabrook at
DEC/CED/Compaq/qapmoC/HP can help you navigate through the various versions
of MILO, if that becomes confusing.

Also, don't be frustrated if you find compiling kernels doesn't go exactly
as you expect; there are a few differences from x86.  'make boot' instead of
'make bzImage' is the biggest, but there's a little bit of massaging to do
with 2.4.x kernels.  And the shared memory settings are rarely right.

But, Alpha linux is a thing of beauty -- I get years of uptime on the
server!

Cheers,

"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." -- Anonymous