> I've never tried Tripwire (Mandrake's msec gives you
> "tripwire lite"), but snort is an absolute bear to commission.

I've used Tripwire quite a bit. It's not _too_ bad to configure once you
figure out how to manage the encrypted configuration and database files.
You start out with a lot of false positives and tweak it until you are
happy with what it complains about. It's not a port sniffer though. It's
an "after the fact" thing as the name implies. It scans your system
files for changes.  inods, sizes, growing or shrinking, access times,
etc. The idea being to inform you soon after your system has been
compromised or when users are doing things they shouldn't be.

-Tom