I haven't used MySQL but I've used Oracle for a number of years, Ingres
for a few less and have recently set up a couple of medium sized
databases using Postgres.

I'd seriously look at Postgres. It supports record-locking, stored
procedures, triggers and has a PL/SQL-like procedure language. There are
some docs available for migrating at
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/#convertfrom

I'd also look at the latest release 7.3.x if you need support for
multiple schemas in a single database instance.

--rick