On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> At a weight greater than four pounds, it's not so "mobile" any more.
> Weight to shoot for: 3 lbs or under.

Depends on what you want your laptop for. For example, I'm doing some work
for a customer where my laptop is my workstation, and I'm building code
all day. I want a nice big screen that can do 1600x1200 at the least (I
don't want one of the crappy 17" apple screens that don't even give decent
resolution!), a CPU fast enough to build code at a decent clip, and at
least 1gb memory. That rules out most of the three-pounders.

> Swappable module bays are a waste of weight and sacrifice sturdiness for
> "flexibility."

Doesn't rule out Dell - check the X200.

> Do you use the laptop for all of your work?  Buy two nice LCD monitors,
> one for home, one for work.

So spend $2000 for two LCD screens that can do 1600x1200? Really, 'lugging
around' a 7lb laptop doesn't bug me in the least, certainly not $2000
worth.  :)

> You MUST get an 802.11 capable laptop.

Agreed on that one.

> * IRPort, sure
>   Definitely useful if you have a digital phone and want to use GSM
>   or GPRS.

I prefer bluetooth for this -- leave the phone in my pocket, or on my
desk, and don't worry about what's pointed where. :)