Nathan Syverson writes:
 > Hi all,
 > I've been reading about setting up an mp3 juke box with an older
 > computer of mine. I know there are meny people who have done this
 > before.  Are any on this list and would like to share what they used for
 > hard/software, how they interface with it, etc.  The more long,
 > convoluted and rambleing the better.  I tend to identify with that.

I have used Jamie Zawinski's gronk, which has a couple of advantages
over alternatives:

1.  It uses only a web server + perl, rather than a web server + perl
+ database.  He argues that the latter is overkill.  Now that I've
ripped all 200+ of the CDs I own, I'm not so sure....

2.  It uses CDDB information instead of just the ID3 tags.  I think
this IS a real advantage, because the ID3 tags, even v2 are really
impoverished in terms of the information they store.

It also has some disadvantages:

1.  It's meant for a club.  That means that if you don't tell it what
to play, it will just pick something at random and play it.  This is
bad for my home for a couple of reasons:  (1) I don't want my stereo
to do this and (2) My music collection ranges from the Clash to the
Barber of Seville, with many stops in between.  Almost every random
sequence of tracks it affords makes you want to puke.  A recorder
concerto followed by "Janie Jones" will make you want to puke.

2.  CDDB is really only adequate for cataloging pop/rock music.  Once
upon a time before the 60s, there was no assumption that the PERFORMER
and the SONGWRITER would be the same person.  Or even that the
SONGWRITER would be one person instead of a LYRICIST and a COMPOSER.
CDDB just associates one person or band with a piece of music.  You
might want to be able to find all the different versions of some Jazz
standard by songwriter, e.g.  With CDDB you'll be able to find
everything Billie Holliday sang, but no useful information about her
accompanists, the composers of the songs, etc.  CDDB is even LESS
adequate with classical music, where you might care about SOLOISTS,
COMPOSERS, (for opera) LIBRETTISTS, CONDUCTORS, etc.

3.  The web ui is pretty clunky --- it's too slow to control the
stereo in your living room, because there's a huge lag between the
message getting to your web server and filtering through all the way
to mpg123 or XMMS, which drive your speakers.

4.  I don't want to have a computer in my living room next to my
amplifier!  I especially don't want a computer with a monitor for
accessing the UI.  I want something that will run with an IR remote,
and that has its own (small) display, or that can be operated through
my TV set.

Me, I'm probably going to abandon this attempt, and just buy slimp3 and
serve up tracks.  I looked into building my own box, but I don't see
how I'd save money over slimp3, even if I value my hourly effort at
$0.