On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I must be missing something. Does anyone know what changes I need to
> make in squid and IPchains to allow msn messenger chat? We have all
> users running through our squid box as a gateway, which also has
> dansguardian on it, but that should not be interfering with things,
> right?

http://messenger.msn.com/support/firewall.asp

"To enable the use of MSN Messenger Service: Open outgoing TCP Port 1863,
and configure it so that sockets on this port are open for extended
periods of time."

Basically, you want to make sure that connections to port 1863 are *not*
being routed out to the proxy server, and just masquerade it at your
firewall. If you don't have a masquerading firewall, and prefer to proxy
all traffic, you can install a SOCKS proxy on a border box, and then
configure the MSN clients as described on the page I linked.