Yikes, I just got a quote back from OnTrack on the data recovery...$1,800!

Here is there analysis.

<quote>
The Ontrack evaluation and services required:
* The hard disk has internal mechanical problem.
* The media should be replaced.
* The file system has structure damage needing repair.
* Ontrack will use proprietary tools to access the device, recover as much
data as possible, and back up.
* Ontrack Clean Room expertise was required to access the data.
* C: has 25,4798 good files =(14.9 GB) and 0 bad files
</quote>

The only part I believe is bullet 1, the "...internal mechanical problem."
I don't see how any file system damage could occur; I was using the laptop
fine, shut it down cleanly and left for the airport.  I tried to start it
on the plane, whereupon it just ticked for a few sections till the BIOS
complained that there was no disk.

Anyone have any other places they've done business with?

Anyone have any expertise in the area and can get it working? Obviously
willing to pay.

-David