You could use samba:

 For the windows/netbios:
    make sure you use the following lines in your config (in
     addition to the rest of the stuph)
       > encrypt passwords = yes
       > security = server
       > password server = NETBIOSNAME
    Then set your hosts allow = 192.168.1 or something useful.

    For your file system permissions you could look into the
    samba pam modules. You may be able to use these with your
    nsswitch, but I'm not sure - I've not needed to go that far.

    If your using an active directory you can find info on how to
    setup your linux box to auth off of active directory (shudder)
    to get your file system perms setup that way - this would be
    a modified LDAP auth setup.

    @

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:42:06AM -0600, Mike Nielsen wrote:
> Hi there, was pondering different ways to get a linux box to act as Network
> Attached Storage for an NT network.
>

> It's easy to get a box setup that allows for storage but getting Access
> control lists working will be sort of difficult.
>
> I thought about maybe setting up the box as a BDC to the Domain but that
> doesn't seem to be completely possible yet.
>

> Or I could use Services For Unix for Windows and use NIS and NFS for
> username mapping and what not.
>
> While I'm getting the test machines set up I was wondering if anyone else
> had managed to do this and what mechanisms you used or if you have any other
> ideas or comments as to the "best" way to do this.
>

> --

Aaron Thompson   Unix Systems Administrator, College of Natural Science
University of Northern Iowa                      Cedar Falls, IA  50614

"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything!
I'll ask about Exchange Server next.