On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Mike Partyka wrote:
> Well, we reloaded it yesterday on a jumky old p4 Dimension we had
> siting around because we are getting a bunch of hardware errors on the
> console relating to CDROM, and IDE, i'd have to get back and look at
> them to be more specific. But we wanted to FTP some files onto the box
> and found it very difficult to enable FTP, found out it needs to have
> pure-ftp installed, the server isn't even there.

Well, that's good... ftp should be difficult to encourage more people to
use scp.  :)

> Anyway, right after that we tried connecting to the web interace (for
> email) and it wouldn't load, sayign LDAP wasn't running. I went in and
> it wasn't so i started it via the yast run level editor tool and now
> it starts at run levels 3 and 5 as it should, but even after a couple
> reboot, we get the same message, LDAP server not running, but grep the
> ps and it's there running.

Your best bet is to contact SuSE -- that sounds like it's a specific
problem to the stuff they've done; not a generic problem with one of the
components.

> As a side note, there does not seem to be any import tools for old
> accounts, even unix ones. We frun a UNix based email with a gui
> frontend called Fineline, and i think we are gonna have to key the
> accounts in by hand, UGH

Heh, that's nice!

You can cut'n'paste passwd/shadow/group entries if you don't have
conflicting uid/gid's, but it's not a great idea.. may just want to hack
up a simple script.

For the LDAP accounts, you should just be able to copy the LDAP database
files across.