This may have to do with the built-in firewall in XP.  There is a
checkmark, on by default, you need to "uncheck" to make XP shares
visible to other machines.  My recollection is that it is under the
network properties, but I don't have XP in front of me at the moment so
I can't look it up.

I've run into this on quite a number of ma;chines where XP can "see"
them, but they cannot see XP shares.  The would cause smbmount to not be
able to mount the share properly.

Sorry for the lack of specifics; hopefully this points you in the right
direction.

Garrett