Friday, April 4, 2003   @   9:18:09 AM Central Standard Time

Note: This is part of the Guide for Network Administrators. It is not intended
for end users.

As a network administrator, you can improve the way the people on your local
area network connect to instant messaging services. Windows Messenger will
connect users on a local area network to instant messaging services by using
the same connection that their default browser uses-if it can find no other
way. Connecting like this limits the functionality of Windows Messenger mainly
to sending instant messages and seeing who is online.

For your network users to enjoy the best performance and full
functionality-including transferring files-you may be able to configure your
proxy servers in a way that enables them to connect directly to the instant
messaging servers.

For instant messaging

To allow your network users to have a direct connection to instant messaging
services, you will need to:

  a.. Open outgoing TCP connections to Port 1863 on your proxy servers.
  b.. Let your network users know which kind of proxy server your network uses
(HTTP, SOCKS4, or SOCKS5) and provide them with the corresponding details
(server name, port number, and so forth) so they can enter that information on
the Connection tab of the Options dialog box (Tools, Options).
  c.. Make sure the internal local area network has access to the Domain Name
System (DNS) servers to resolve the names of external hosts such as
messenger.msn.com.

For file transfer

Both incoming and outgoing TCP connections use this range of ports: 6891 to
6900. This allows up to 10 simultaneous file transfers per sender. If you open
only Port 6891, users will be able to do only one file transfer at a time.

The TCP ports need to be configured so that sockets on a port remain open for
extended periods of time.

Note

File transfer may not work if you are behind a network address translation
(NAT) device.

Robert (aka B_o_B) David Felix De Mars
West Longitude 90' 15' 43"
http://b-o-b.homelinux.com