Hi,
I am running VMWorkstation 4 on my Dell Latitude C610 laptop.
The host OS is Windows 2000. I have installed Red Hat Linux 8.0
as guest OS on the virtual machine.

When I see in the C:\Programs\VMware\Manage Vitual Networks, in the tab
- Host Virtual Network Mapping,
I see that VMnet0(Bridged) is set to "Bridged to an automatically chosen
adapter".
My NIC is 3COM sC920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller.

When I power on my virtual machine, it boots the RedHat Linux 8.0 and
after logging in,
I found that network is not setup.

When I run the network configuration tool, I see that the device eth0 is
pointed
to the hardware device 'AMD PCnet32'.

Why the virtual machine is not setup for networking?  I would like to
setup in such a way that
the physical network sees the virtual machine as a separate machine.
Virtual machine should have
separate IP address . Any other machine on the physical network should
be able to communicate with
the virtual machine, for example ftp to virtual machine from any other
host.

How can I do this? Someone please help me in configuring to achieve
this? Any good sources on this VMware Networking?
Any sort of help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Pradeep