Allow me to clarify.  I've been trying to help him, but my knowledge of XP
is extreamly limited.

We have a Linux based file server.  We want to back up the /home directory
from this Linux system onto A dvdrom burner on a Windows machine.  Other
applications (a phone management system) on this Windows machine now
require it to run XP.

Doug is using dump to create backup images directly on the Windows machine
because there is not enough space on the file server to hold the backup
images.  Thus the requirement for using smb.

This was all working on Win 98 (or was it Me).

At this point, Doug can mount the XP share, which is set up with full
permissions for the user he is mounting as.  When he attempts to create a
file, he gets a permission denied.

Doug, can you create a file when you "mount" this share from another
Windows machine?