On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 01:31, Paul Overby wrote:

<snippage>

> It seems rather suspicious to me that they can determine  "25,4798 good
> files =(14.9 GB) and 0 bad files" without opening the drive and yet need
> clean room expertise (open the drive) to recover the data. Anybody know
> what it is I'm not understanding here.

I have some ideas on that.  I sent a toasted laptop drive down to them
for an estimate, and got back the very detailed report of all my files
and a huge recovery quote, much like what we're seeing here.  I chose
not to use their service as the data was of little importance, and asked
for the drive back so I could get it replaced by Dell under warranty.

Out of curiosity, not to mention some suspicion, I plugged the drive
into a spare junker laptop and lo and behold, it booted up.  Stunk
horribly.  I suspect that they do a bare minimum fix to read the drive
contents for the estimate, and count on either the user accepting the
quote or not asking for the drive back.  It's not worth their time to
"re-break" the drive before it's returned.

Hence, my theory is that they're dodgy about describing this process
because it would be simple for an individual with questionable ethics to
get a cheap, unwarrantied hard drive repair for the cost of the
estimate.

--
Carl Patten <myok at ogzr.org>