On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:06:18AM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Tim Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Are rail kits for rack mounted servers universal? In other words, will
> > any rail kit fit any server? I just bought an old 2U VA Linux 2200 and
> > it didn't come with any rack mounting hardware.
>
> Nowhere close.  :(

Bummer. Anyone know where I can get a set of rails that would be
compatible with a VA Linux 2200 2U server?

> FYI, the VA FullOn 2u-series often have problems with the 2.4 kernels if
> you're using Adaptec or Mylex cards.. if you have issues, try a SMP kernel
> (even if it's a UP box), or pass the 'noapic' option to the kernel.

Also a bummer. Luckily I got a dual-proc machine.

Incidentally, if anyone is in the market for a pretty powerful server
for a home network, eBay is replete with old rack mount machines. I got
a 2U VA Linux 2200, dual PIII 650 MHz, 512MB RAM, 9 GB SCSI, etc. for
$350. That seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson
Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA