> We have an oracle database which I'd like to move to an open-source
> database.  Based on talking with the DBA, we have less than 100 Oracle
> pl/sql packages.  Which database would be easiest to migrate to?  Are
> there migration utilities to make this easier?

It depends on your needs.  The most commonly used open source databases are
MySQL and PostgreSQL.  PostgreSQL has more features.  Whether or not you
need them is a different story.  MySQL has better documentation (in my
opinion) and is easier to use.  MySQL is probably faster than PostgreSQL for
most uses.  It also has transactional tables, if you need them.  It can run
24/7 without needing maintenance like PostgreSQL.

MySQL is developed in-house by a company, where as PostgreSQL is developed
in the more traditional open source way.  The code base for PostgreSQL was
inherited from a university project.  I am inclined to think that this makes
MySQL more apt to be stable.

There is also Firebird, an open source database based on Borland's
InterBase.

This probably isn't your situation, but if you need a very small, fast and
light embeddable database, check out SQLite.  The code is amazing.  The
entire database is kept in one file and it locks the entire file during
updates, so multiuser performance would not be great.  But for single user
use, it can be much faster than MySQL and PostgreSQL.  It is public domain.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/