I know this is a pretty vague question, but is on the topic. I'm curious
to know how to determine what your rates should be for contracting. I
guess it depends more on the nature of the job and experience required
to complete it, but as someone who has only done small jobs for
acquaintances (often for no more than beer and a dinner) I have no idea
where rates would start. Is there a website that provides a good scale
of what to charge based on the work that anyone uses to pick their
rates?

Thanks,
John

>>> gkrueger at cleosci.com 04/18/03 12:30AM >>>
I've been consulting for the past 12 years myself, and I usually just
go
to the company being sure they have a clear picture of my hourly rate.

 I do the job, leave, and send them a bill.  I've found companies very

willing to pay because they know that the IT community is a "small
world," and if they want service again, they don't mess with the
consultants.

The only times I've found contracts necessary were when a) you draw up

retainers (agreements to provide some amount of service over a certain

period of time or to be "on call" with them), or b) when you do work
for
the government, but the government's easy since they usually present
you
with a contract that you read and sign (or read and walk away).

Erik Anderson wrote:
> So I have just gotten asked to do my first freelance consulting gig.

> I'll be setting up an Apache/Tomcat environment for a company, but
> that's beside the point.
>
> I figure that there are at least a few people on the list that have
> done private consulting before, and I'd like to ask for advice, as
I'm