Bob Tanner writes:
> I've always viewed this as a work-around. I believe at one time the
> sendmail macros where even in the hack group.

It is a hack, but it works better than SMTP AUTH in most cases.  SMTP AUTH
is relatively new, thus not all SMTP clients support it.  With
POP-before-SMTP, my customers simply setup their mail client to check their
mail and sending automatically works with no extra configuration.  SMTP AUTH
is something extra to configure (assuming their mail client even supports
it).

> Most people create unix accounts so pop can authenticate, which I
> think isn't necessary, better to push the authentication off to smtp
> authentication imho.

That makes absolutely no sense.  You already need to authenticate POP3,
otherwise everyone could pop your mail.  Now, in the exceedingly rare
circumstance that you are providing only outgoing mail service to clients
that could be anywhere on the internet, yes, SMTP AUTH would make sense.
But I can't think of a single example where that would be the case.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/