Knowing what to charge is, as one other person said, partly a matter of
your skill level.  As I also discovered back in my "early days" of
consulting, it's a matter of marketing -- or shoud I say -- of
understanding what the market will bear.

At first, I was doing some work for acquaintances and their friends.  I
charged $25 per hour (this was the early '90's).  I began to read more
on the process of marketing one's self, and I also began to observe what
companies charged.  That's when I realized I needed to up my rate.

Part of the issue, yes, is being able to back up your rate with work
skill, but it's also important to not underprice as this will lead
potential customers to believe there's something wrong with you since
you're so cheap compared to other places.

I think a good place to start is:  a) what do CompUSA and Best Buy
charge for their tech. services? b) what do places like TekSystems, TAJ,
and RHI charge when they send consultants out on jobs, and c) how
valuable do you feel you are (low, middle, high) in terms of your skill
level vs. how competative do you wish to be in relation to the afore
mentioned companies.

Garrett