Over the last week we had a few Linux servers abused at some member
schools. The culprits took advantage of poorly configured squid.conf files
that had the default 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 statement in the ACL section. We have
corrected most of the problem by only letting local LANS use squid. I have
one school in particular who is still being abused. It is peculiar because
they have a high amount of traffic leaving their network, which seems to
mask itself with  normal, expected http traffic. It does not run 24/7 like
the others who had the squid problem, but only runs during normal school
hours and then goes away at night. I am using mrtg to monitor things, and
would guess their outbound traffic is running at about a 300 % increase
whenever there is a web request. I have asked the tech for the school to
examine his local LAN for any devices that can do web caching to see if
someone has hacked in somehow. I have looked at our router logs, and can
only see port 80 being used. In fact when I disabled http traffic all the
suspicious traffic went away. I guess I am wondering if anyone has heard of
such a thing, and knows how to find a way to shut this down. It may be a
bit off subject at this point since the school is not running any Linux,
but rather win2000, and a sonic wall.

Thanks in advance
--
Raymond Norton