Actually, I did try just that very thing.  I set up a user on my 98 and Me boxes that is identical to the one on the samba machine.  Still no go.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Hoffoss
  To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 9:45 AM
  Subject: Re: [TCLUG] samba on a linux machine

  When I spent time networking Win98 and Win2K boxes, in order for the 98's to access a share on the 2K server, the server had to have a user created for each 98 user, and the username has to be the same as in win98. This is the same as someone else said on the list, but I think you misinterpreted what they said when you tried switching to Client for MS Networks. No matter how you log on, whether it's locally, to a domain, whatever, you've only got one username, so that username has to be present on the Samba box in order to gain access. Rather, that is what I think is going on here, from what I've read. I can't say for sure though, as I have not worked much at all with Samba. Hope this helps though.
  John