Dig deeper: contact Compaq and get them to tell you whether they support
Linux or not on that product (they do support Linux in most of their
business areas).  Nine chances in ten it's either supported directly or an
equivalent chip set to something that is already supported under another
name.  I had some problems with HP and they helped.. eventually.  HP online
tech support in the USA could not help at that time, but I got help from HP
in France because of the importance os Suse Linux in office sales over
there.