rpgoldman at real-time.com writes:

> Ouch.  For two desktops + an access point, pulling wire is starting to
> look competitive.  Even at electrician's rates $700 or so buys a
> reasonable amount of wire-pulling.
>
> Maybe I'm not doing the right thing --- I'm just trying to avoid
> pulling wire through two stories of lath and plaster.  I don't really
> need roaming wireless.  Is there a more economical way to avoid
> pulling wire?  Or am I somehow reading these product sheets wrong?

Having put around 1500' of CAT5 and some phone cable into my 1916 (I
think it is) duplex, mostly lath and plaster -- I think you're onto
something.  In 1995, though, I didn't have either a wireless option or
good multi-line multi-handset wireless phone options.

I've seen phone-line network products and power-line network products
that might well be another alternative, but I'm not actually sure
they're much cheaper than the wireless you're looking at.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net