On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:21:26PM -0500, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> On Saturday 14 September 2002 01:17 pm, Florin Iucha wrote:
[snip]
> > I respect your right to free speech and I will strongly defend it even
> > though I do not agree with what you say.
> Thank you.
> > But your signatures are certainly offensive to some people (myself
> > included). I could ignore them but then I would look like I condone
> > them.
> That's one view, and I respect it, although objecting to everything one finds
> offensive would likely keep one very busy.  Another view is that one isn't
> required to take issue with anything and everything one doesn't agree with --
> that happens to be mine, and it does have the virtue of laziness and economy.
>
>    I could answer to them with arguments and reason but I know I will
> > not change anybody's mind and you will not change anybody's mind so we
> > would just waste bandwith here discussing issues not related to Linux
> > or Twin Cities.
> >
> > It is pointless to have such arguments on this list. Feel free to set up
> > another mailing list and I will gladly raise your glove there.
>
> Ghu knows there's plenty of venues to participate in such discussions already,
> and the number is only likely to increase in the foreseeable future, for
> obvious reasons; I don't feel the next to add another mailing list to the
> heap.
>
> jr
[snip]

> --
>    "Violence only leads to more violence."
>    This one is so stupid you usually have to be the president of an
> Ivy League university to say it. Here's the truth, which you know in
> your heads and hearts already:
>    Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp,
> panicky, half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete,
> fully-thought-through, professional, well-executed violence never
> leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys
> are all dead.
>    That's right, dead. Not "on trial," not "reeducated," not "nurtured
> back into the bosom of love." Dead. D-E--Well, you get the idea.
> -- Larry Miller

Isn't this a [rather verbose] reiteration of "might makes it right"?

This has been said before:
   Don't quote the law to us! We carry swords!
   -- Pompeius Magnus, as recorded by Plutarch

It is ok to discuss it from a historical point of view, but I sure
don't want this in my neighbourhood or in yours. And I will stand
against it!

florin

--

"NT is to UNIX what a dougnut is to a particle accelerator."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4