On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 17:56, BN wrote:
> Ok, why do we *NEED* a mission statement?

We don't.  Obviously the LUG has existed for quite some time without
such a statement.  However, until such a statement is drafted, it is
pointless to discuss the purpose, or non-purpose, of the group (unless,
of course, such discussion is directed toward the drafting of such a
statement).

Secondly, the drafting of a mission statement would lay to rest these
kinds of debates.  All one needs to do is point the "offender" to the
mission statement and say something like "Thank you for your suggestion,
but it doesn't really lie within the scope of the LUG's mission."  End
of story.

> Who is requiring us to have a mission statement?
>
> Oh how I long for the discussions about which VM to use in the Linux
> kernel.....

???  A simple statement like "to help people learn about using and
configuring linux" would qualify as a mission statement.