On Friday 13 September 2002 04:09 pm, Mike Hicks wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 15:32, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> > I've got a machine that seems to be running perfectly, except that I'm
> > unable to get any bits in or out across the NIC.  (The NIC thinks it's
> > sending bits to the router; the router thinks it's sending bits to the
> > NIC.  Nothing's travelling back on the wire, and yes, I've tried all the
> > obvious things.)
>
> What do you mean?  You can't ping from box to box?  You're using a
> crossover cable, or have a hub in between?

In order:  yes, and I have a router in between, the hub having been recently
fried.

> The output of ifconfig, route, and other tools looks okay? (you can post
> it here and let us take a look at it..)

Yup, alas.  That was the first thing I looked at.  The relevant configuration
is identical with the other two -- working -- machines plugged in to the same
router, save for the IP address.

> > Is this the sort of problem/machine it would be reasonable to bring to an
> > Installfest?
>
> Sure, assuming that the behavior of the router can be replicated
> appropriately (it's possible that it could appear to work fine at an
> installfest, but then still be broken at home).

Well, I think I know where I'm going to be, next Installfest... and yeah, I
am, alas, aware of that latter possibility.

--
The NEA says the lessons to be learned from the terrorist attacks are:
"Appreciating and getting along with people of diverse backgrounds