On 10 Sep 2002, Sreekumar Kodakara wrote:
> Hi
> I have partioned my hard disk and have made my system dual boot with Win
> Xp in one partion and RH 7.3 in another. I would like to read XP
partition
> from linux. I tried adding an entry in  /etc/fstab with hpfs as the
> filesystem type and it didnt work. Is there a way to read the Win XP
> partion.
> Thanks for the help in advance.
> Sreekumar

Sreekumar,
I believe you're confusing hpfs with ntfs. ntfs is the default fs that XP
uses and as far as i know the only other option is fat32. try changing your
fstab entry to ntfs or try mounting the partition directly using 'mount -t
ntfs <dev> <mountpt> and you should be in business. also, ntfs and linux
don't always get along so you'll want to make sure the partition mounts in
read-only mode.
Peace out,

Thomas Johnson
john4293 at tc.umn.edu