Try the fan or look for overheating somewhere.  I had similar problems with
a box today.  Mine was obvious that the CPU fan was dead when I opened the
box.  Runs fine with a new fan, and the CPU seems to have survived the
roasting it got.  A faded upper right corner of the monitor got normal again
also, so the onboard video chip must have been too warm also.  One of the
shops I buy from was supplying crummy fans.  Replacing them with
ball-bearing fans has always been a good step.

---
Chuck