On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 15:02, Shawn wrote:
> Specific ports to specific processors would mean more focus on what
> makes each one tick, and how to "tweak" them into their own dynamic
> realms.  Sort of like how each variance of Unix is for the most part
> specific to their platforms:  HP-UX to PA-RISC, Solaris to Sparc, etc...
>
> To me, that would be the biggest overall part of it.  The downside is
> that it's more work on the developers as well as the maintainers.

Well, this is similar to how Unix got really fragmented..  Different
groups and companies would go make their own version.

Much of what you're talking about ends up being a compiler problem
rather than a kernel problem anyway.  Sure, there are ways that
rearranging data and procedures can help, but it would be tremendously
painful to write code for each different processor, and each sub-version
of each processor, etc.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If you tell a joke in the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   forest, and nobody laughs,