On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:10:34 -0500
florin at iucha.net (Florin Iucha) wrote:

> > This is kind of what I was trying to mention.  Make a specific
> > kernel port for each processor type:  Alpha, Sparc, PA-RISC, Intel
> > x86, Athlon, Mac, etc.  Might be more work,
>
> Willing to volunteer for that work?

Trust me, I couldn't code a simple "Hello" program if I tried.  You
wouldn't want it.

> >                                but I think the benefits would be
> >                                better
> > off rather than jumbling everything into one thing.
>
> Please list some benefits.

Specific ports to specific processors would mean more focus on what
makes each one tick, and how to "tweak" them into their own dynamic
realms.  Sort of like how each variance of Unix is for the most part
specific to their platforms:  HP-UX to PA-RISC, Solaris to Sparc, etc...

To me, that would be the biggest overall part of it.  The downside is
that it's more work on the developers as well as the maintainers.

> >                                                      Also, you could
> > probably have a lot better legacy support for each specific
> > processor port type I'd think.
>
> How?

See above.  Unless of course, my thinking is too far out of whack for
this.

Shawn