On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Shawn wrote:

> If this is the case, and to help to boost performace better, wouldn't it
> be easier/better to develop more towards today's processors/architecture
> than to keep "legacy" systems in as well?  Just a thought...

Yes and no.  Let's say I have my m68k Mac chugging along, but I need some
of the new Reiser stuff.  What am I supposed to do?  What if they stopped
developing today for m68k, and 3 months from now a much needed patch came
out.  Am I hosed?

At the same time, I'd like it if the kernel came in an x86 only package,
so I didn't have to download the RISC/S390/AS400/Sparc/Amiga/PPC/... just
to build an x86 kernel (most users would want this).  Seems kinda silly to
unpack megs of useless code.

Thanks for the advice on the patches.  I was wondering how the kernel
could sustain itself the way it's being managed.  Insightful stuff.

-Brian