tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org, circa Sun, 08-Sep-2002 at 02:10AM:

> On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Bob Tanner wrote:
> > What was really cool was the fact that the phone and the STSN device
> > shared the same bisquit jack on the wall. Meaning, that whatever the
> > STSN gear uses it can co-exist on the same piece of copper as POTS (ala
> > DSL).
>
> Not exactly OT, but a couple of hotels I've stayed at actually do ISDN (or
> something similar, not exactly sure) to each room, then use a digital
> phone and give you a POTS jack in the side of it. So ,not exactly POTS,
> but I'm not sure what it is..

I stayed in Winnipeg at the Delta chain (I'd liken it to Hilton in
Canada) about 3 weeks ago.  They had high speed access in the rooms.
There were wall plates with RJ-45's, and the desk lamp had a base with
an AC outlet and RJ-11 connector.

I had a glitch, so I couldn't get working -- pump got me an address,
but then nothingness.  I called the "tech support" line to make sure
they were doing a DHCP server and suss things out.  I did it
fearfully, expecting a M$ droid.  Got a human right away, they had
_no_ problem with Linux [1] at all, and were conversant with it.

The guy even pulled up an old similar trouble ticket, to see if that
might provide a clue.  It turned out to be a problem with how their
routing gear was doing NAT -- in fact we didn't get it going before I
left, but the customer service experience made it so that I still felt
happy afterwards.  (I really had better things to be doing than
camping on-line on vacation.)

[1]  Their attitude, the only one a service industry like hotels
really can arguably have, was "we are here to serve and accomodate the
customer.  If that means dealing with any computer that might walk in
the door, then that's what we'll do."  How refreshing!

Phil

--
www.rephil.org / University of Minnesota

"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable" -- Anonymous