Time to clarify. "Megapixels" these days is often used to refer to the
number of CCD/CMOS elements; now, as we all know, it takes three
numbers/sensors to form one RGB pixel.

However, most digital cameras do NOT have three sensors per pixel; rather,
they sprinkle the colors in a rather logical pattern (a Bayer array, IIRC)
and interpolate. For example, about 1/2 of the sensors in most CCDs are
green sensors, 'cause our eyes are most sensitive to luminosity differences
in the green channel of positive light images. Red is next-most frequent and
blue least. You can see this by looking at the various channels of a fairly
long exposure; without fail, the green channel will have the most detail
(and least noise) and the blue will have the least detail and be most noisy.
(In effect, you're only getting something like 1/6-1/8 of the total number
of pixels for the blue channel. The camera's processor places them on an
appropriate grid and interpolates for each channel separately, combining
them for image output.)

The "megapixel" number you see tends to be the actual sensor count, and thus
is not necessarily correlating with any number of pixels for output.

Fuji is one exception to all of the above; they use their own wacky rotated
honeycomb sensor array and interpolate the whole mess to make whoppingly big
images, rather than the quasi-standard Bayer array.

Some company-or-other has managed to layer their CCD layers atop one
another; their sensors have true RGB for every single pixel. They're also
hellishly expensive and have not yet hit the market. Also, the
hyper-expensive scanning digicams ($20,000+) usually sample true RGB.

</digishutterbug>