On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 10:26:17AM -0500, Daniel Taylor wrote:

<yes, i'm feeding the troll>

> Because it is better?
> Macs are much more durable than their x86 counterparts. I have
> a second-hand Mac 7200 that has outlasted 3 x86 boxes, just
> in the time that _I_ have had it. My kids use it for games
> now, so it isn't treated gently.

Kinda like the 486 SX-25 i've got running in my pile-o-computers, along
with the 486 DX4-100 laptop, and the various P100-P233's also running without
problems.

But then there's the various Mac hardware that's hanging out in the closet,
under everything else, not running because of the lack of backwards
compatibility of Macintosh hardware.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mac hardware is great, but it isn't as easy
to swap around as x86, you don't get the variety, and you certainly pay
more for something that may or may not be useful in a year or two.

(compared to an x86 system that you can just swap in $100 worth of
components (motherboard, cpu) and have an up to date CPU and motherboard
that's capable of using all that old hardware from the last computer.)