> Via bought Cyrix a while back and have tried to revive the
> bargain-basement chip manufacturer. I had a few old CyrixInstead PR225
> and PR300 chips back then, PR standing for Pentium Rated. They were
> socket 7 chips that ran incredibly hot.

I had a PR166+ myself, that I ran quite happily for 3.5 years, with no real
heat problems.
I had some sig11s occasionally; and I wondered if it was the CPU, so I
replaced it with a real Intel P166... which ran noticeably slower, and still
had the sig11s.

Scott Fritchie used a C3 for his workstation.
www.snookles.com/scott/quietpc-1.html

I'd certainly consider getting one, to build a quiet PC with.

speaking of quiet computers, check out www.quietpc.com; drive silencers,
quiet CPU fans, other goodies. :)

Carl.
--