OK, so I thought I had it.  I killed the stray fam process and
could mount and unmount the drive at will.

At least until I rebooted the machine.  Every time I do, xinetd
restarts this fam thing and I can't unmount the drive without
killing it.  If I restart xinetd using /etc/inetd/xinetd restart,
I can mount and unmount the drive. I don't understand why xinetd
(or perhaps more properly, the service sgi_fam) feels the need to
start fam when I boot up, but forgets all about it if I restart
xinetd.

Reinstalling the rpms for xinetd and fam did not fix it.

Workarounds would include disabling the sgi_fam service, or
having one of my local initscripts just restart xinetd, but
that's somewhat unsatisfactory.  If something is damaged, I'd
rather fix it.  Right now, I've disabled the sgi_fam service.

It seems someone is telling sgi_fam that it needs to fire up fam
to look at this drive (hda1, on /mnt/winc) when I boot.  I'd like
to make it stop, but I don't know how it's happening.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks again,

Rob