On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Yaron wrote:
> I've got a multihomed network right now, and I want Squid to go out
> through the (much faster) cable. However, squid lives on a machine
> with other functions that need to go out through the (much more
> reliable and static) DSL.
>
> Yes, I have a lot of junk machines lying around, but proxy servers
> like to have a lot of RAM and diskspace, and I don't have any large
> drives or large amounts of RAM lying around (:
>
> Anyone know if there's a way to do this, maybe on the networking
> level?

Bind Squid to a different IP address, and use advanced routing stuff to
route it out the quicker link. IE,

(define tables in your /etc/iproute2/rt_tables file)

ip route add 0/0 via <cable_gw> dev <cable_dev> table cable
ip route add 0/0 via <dsl_gw> dev <dsl_dev> table dsl
ip rule add from <squid_ip> table cable pri 2

may be a bit more you have to define, but that's the basic idea.