This isn't my opinion (as I don't know enough to have one) but one of my
friends strongly dislikes the chipsets for dual Athlons. His opinion may
be a bit biased, as his multi-proc boxes are servers, not number
crunchers, but that's what he's said. His preference is for ServerWorks
or Intel chipsets with Intel processors. There are some numbers here:
http://www.scientificweb.de/mathstef3.html with benchmarks for
various tests, but it doesn't look like too many dual-proc
configurations are tested there. This site: http://www.2cpu.com may
prove to have some better resources for you, as well as more
current/relevant benchmarks.

As for the processor itself, I've only heard that the MP is essentially
the same as an XP, just "guaranteed" by AMD to work in a multi-processor
setting.

I've also heard there were issues with Tyan's first dual-MP mobo, but I
would imagine those issues could be attributed to being bleeding-edge
and would be resolved by now.

my $0.02. Hope they help.
-John

>>> lxy at cloudnet.com 10/29/02 10:27AM >>>
I'm building an uber-number crunching box for a guy.  He wants the best
in
everything, so naturaly I recomended an Athlon MP machine.  he had a
few
choice words to say about the dual MPs, and wanted a single Athlon
instead.  He wouldn't tell me WHY, other than "I've heard things".

Is Athlon MP a good choice?  Are there weird issues under various
OS's?  (this box will be running dual Win2K/Linux).

-Brian

Minnesota
http://www.mn-linux.org tclug-list at mn-linux.org