On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:24:02AM -0600, Munir Nassar wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Kevin Bullock wrote:
>
> > How are your keyboard/mouse hooked up? through USB? If they are,
> > there's a chance that the IRQ is conflicting between the three things
> > that are using IRQ16. If your mouse is on USB, try changing the USB
> > IRQ to something other than 16 in the BIOS.
>
> unless this is an old Pentootium or 486 and/or using ISA it is not an IRQ
> conflict
>
> with PCI/USB there is no such thing as IRQ conflicts anymore.

You are reading too many brochures.

florin at bear:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
         CPU0
  0:  127159010          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      33357          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:     428317          XT-PIC  ohci-hcd
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:      15679          XT-PIC  advansys, ohci-hcd, CS46XX, radeon at PCI:1:0:0
 11:       9387          XT-PIC  ide2
 12:     183902          XT-PIC  eth0
 14:     177460          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          0          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:  127159720
ERR:     125402
MIS:          0

The ohci-hcd thingie on IRQ5 is my USB mouse! It is (after the timer of
course) the biggest source of interrupts in my system.

If the system is loaded: playing music you get over nfs from a server
and burning a cd and browsing (moving the mouse a lot), you might get
lost interrupts.

It just depends on how well the drivers share the irq line.

A couple of years ago I was getting noise from the sound card every time
a packet went through my ethernet card. And I couldn't do anything about
it since it was a laptop, with all the interrupts wired to 11. The
kernel and drivers imporoved a lot since then.

There were also some problems back when X would grab the PCI bus and
hold it too long, causing the dropped ethernet packets and noise over
the music.

Cheers,
florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4