Ok, here's a weird one.

I use thr freefont package you can get off ftp.gimp.org/pub/fonts (I think)
under X for like, years. But they won't work on my laptop for some odd
reason. My laptop and my desktop (and my wife's desktop) are all running
debian (used to be sid, who knows now), all get dist-upgraded regularly.
I've compared X and Font related packages and they look idenical, so I'm
obviously missing something. I've also compared the font directories and
they are identical also.

When I try to add these directories, I get:

X Error of failed request:  86
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Serial number of failed request:  8

Anyone?

-Yaron