> Thanks for the lspci suggestion.  I hadn't known about that before.
>  Unfortunately, as i said, i'm not much of a hardware guy, so I
> can't
> necessarily interpret this stuff.  Here's what it gives me for
> 00:1f.1  (the one that was giving me the error):
>
> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801DB ICH4 IDE (rev 01)
> (prog-if 8a  [Master SecP PriPI)
>     Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 013d
>     Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
>     I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=8]
>     I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=4]
>     I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=8]
>     I/O ports at <unassigned> [size=4]
>     I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
>     Memory at 10000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
>

> It seems something's wrong with the I/O ports? but i don't know what
> or  how to fix it.  Also, device 00:1d.0 (USB Controller) and device
> 01:04.0  (Modem) are listed at IRQ 16.  I don't see anything
> suspicious under the  VGA controller device listing.  So again, I'm
> hoping somebody can give  me some advice as to what this all means.

How are your keyboard/mouse hooked up? through USB? If they are,
there's a chance that the IRQ is conflicting between the three things
that are using IRQ16. If your mouse is on USB, try changing the USB
IRQ to something other than 16 in the BIOS.

Pacem in terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock