On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 09:53, Dan Steeves wrote:
> Can you tell me what you think of 8.0 so far?  I am new to Linux, just
> installed 7.3 as my first Linux a couple weeks ago.  I'm still learning and
> playing at this point.  I have read that the 8.0 desktop upset some people for
> not being "open" enough.  What are the pros and cons of upgrading right away to
> 8 for a newbie?

I really like it. So far i've only put it on two desktops and one laptop
and I'm very pleased. The OpenOffice.org install works great out of the
box and when i stick a dvd in it fires up zine with the dvd5 plugin and
i'm off to the races (likewise for audio cds, it starts up grip)

I've stuck with the default desktop appearance (gnome2 with bluecurve)
as I'm pleased with it as well so I've not dealt with themes and what
not. Compiling seems to work fine for me as well and there was
absolutely no tinkering with my hardware at all (except hardware
accelerated X on my nvidia cards which was trivial).

Network configuration was a little odd WRT wireless config. For example
adding things to /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts didn't seem to do jack, I
used the GUI network tool to set SSID and KEY and all was well though I
do miss SCHEMEs.

It sure feels fast as well due mostly to GCC3 i believe.

Not a very thorough review but I'm at work so it'll have to do. Cheers.