On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 09:09, Justin Kremer wrote:
> I got to work today and when I checked my e-mail there was a message from
> our system administrator saying that our parent company is forcing him to
> make some changes at our site.
> 1) We will be logging into their flaky, virus-ridden domain

Are you allowed to have a firewall at least? One that would let you
limit incoming connections from that network?

I've had problems with both and prefer sohpos (http://www.sophos.com)

> 3) We will be forced to use Outlook for e-mail...no longer are we allowed
> to use Eudora, Netscape, Mozilla, etc.
> It is really painful because we have about 99% uptime in house right now,
> and from what I have gathered, our parent company has significant network
> down time at least once a week.
> Is there anything that can be done to make this transition easier?
> (preferably without doing something that will get me fired, like
> telling them that they're morons)  Does anyone know if it is actually
> possible for them to not allow me to receive my mail unless it is through
> LookOut?

You can increase the security of outlook with a few simple tasks.
Disabling VB shit is one, google for the others. Standardizing
eliminates a great deal of tech support head ache. I'm not saying their
choice is right or wrong, just offering up some reason why they may
choose to do this.

Unless you can get your bosses to talk to their bosses, I'd say you're
fooked. Perhaps you can convince them to let you run a BDC (use samba
;-) and employ sophos command line scanner on the shares.

(My post was of extremely low value, sorry)

--
Ben Lutgens		| http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator	| http://www.sistina.com/

"If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back to you
hunt it down and set it on fire" -- George Carlin