On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 22:49, Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Like many of you I'm sure, it seems like my family and I are running in
> opposite directions all too frequently. I've been thinking about this
> problem a bit lately and I'm wondering if there's something that can be
> done to address at least the more mundane aspects of the problem.

Man you're just looking for a reason to hack.

> I'd be curious to know if anyone on the list has implemented a home
> fileserver with (I'm just throwing out some names here) LDAP, email,
> shared calendars, sync for multiple PDAs, thin client access from
> somewhere in the house, iCal, CODA, Inter-mezzo, phpGroupWare, etc.

web_dav (one idea for shared calenders)
twiggi (web based groupware)
samba (usable by MACs, *nix, and D0ze)

> I'm thinking that if I had a single file server that could serve as our
> family information hub, we might be a little more organized. Of course,
> leaving Post-its sticking around the house might end up being just as
> effective. But it's not as fun to ponder. :-)

Yeah, but it's usually faster than sitting down at a browser, opening an
app and typing. Something like "Honey, went to the LUG B33r meeting will
call for ride" is quicker on a post-it note ;-)

> So has anyone tried something like this? Obviously there are many levels
> of integration possible, but I'm wondering about some of the more
> ambitious ones.

I live alone and am constantly leaving myself post-it notes ;-)

--
Ben Lutgens				 | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator	 | http://www.sistina.com/

"If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back to you
hunt it down and set it on fire" -- George Carlin